The Five Animal Frolics is a two-part style of Qi Gong, with each animal corresponding to the five elements for healing and strengthening body parts:
- Tiger ~ Wood ~ liver & tendons
- Deer ~ Water ~ kidneys & bones
- Bear ~ Earth ~ spleen and stomach.
- Monkey ~ Fire ~ heart and circulation
- Bird ~ Metal ~ lungs and respiration
There are also 5 animal postures incorporated into the Shaolin qigong practice including frog; butterfly; ox; crane; dragon. Turtle and tiger are two further additions.